Grand Rapids Civil Litigation Lawyers
Handling Civil Disputes and Civil Appeals in Grand Rapids, MI
Disputes between one or more persons or entities can be highly complex. Even seemingly minor issues can turn into something more significant. Many times, these problems cannot be resolved through discussions among the parties involved, and legal action must be pursued. If you are involved in a disagreement with another person or a company and your matter must be taken to court, you need a Grand Rapids civil litigation attorney on your side to help you through the complicated legal process. Additionally, if your case has already been decided, but you feel that a legal error affected the decision, a Grand Rapids civil appeals lawyer can help challenge the judgment.
At Willis Law, our Grand Rapids civil litigation and appeals attorneys have extensive experience and are ready to guide you through your case. Our team genuinely cares about our clients and fights hard to seek just outcomes on their behalf. Whether you are at the beginning stages of a civil dispute or a judgment has been made, we are here to determine an innovative solution. Our strategic approach begins with a thorough assessment of your case, examining every detail relevant to the matter at hand. We also learn about your needs and goals and focus on protecting your best interests.
To speak with one of our Grand Rapids civil litigation and appeals lawyers, please reach out to us at (888) 461-7744 today.
What Does a Michigan Civil Litigation Attorney Do?
A Grand Rapids civil litigation lawyer handles cases involving disputes between people or companies. These are different from criminal cases, which are concerned with establishing whether someone is guilty of violating a law and determining what penalties to impose. In a civil case, one party seeks a legal remedy, including monetary compensation, an injunction, or other action.
Grand Rapids civil litigation attorneys represent their clients in various phases of the process, including:
- Investigation: The lawyer will review reports, documents, logs, interview witnesses, and gather all relevant pieces of information to build their client's case.
- Pleading: The attorney will write up and file the complaint (the document that begins the legal process) and submit any pre-trial motions.
- Discovery: The lawyer will examine and evaluate the other party's evidence to determine the strengths and weaknesses of the case.
- Settlement: The attorney will attempt to settle the matter outside the courtroom by negotiating with the other party's representation. A couple of different alternative dispute resolution methods are available, including mediation and arbitration.
- Trial: The lawyer will go before a judge or jury to present and provide support for their client's claims.
- Appeal: If the case does not end favorably for their client and a legal error influenced the outcome, the attorney can challenge the decision through an appeal.
At Willis Law, our civil litigation attorneys in Grand Rapids will stand by you through each stage of your case. We will deliver the advice and counsel you need to ensure that you understand your legal options, the courses your case can take, and potential outcomes.
What Are the Common Types of Civil Litigation Cases?
As noted earlier, civil litigation involves disputes between persons or entities. Because individuals interact in various types of settings, issues can arise in a range of situations.
Common types of civil litigation include:
- Personal injury: Typically, in a personal injury case, one party seeks compensation for damages resulting in an accident caused by someone else. At issue is whether the responsible party's negligence or reckless actions contributed to the victim suffering injury. Examples of these types of cases include, but are not limited to, car accidents, truck accidents, bicycle accidents, slip and falls, and dog bites.
- Debt settlement: Debt settlement cases involve negotiations between creditors and debtors to seek to settle outstanding debt. Usually, the debtor asks the creditor to allow them to repay less than what is owed. An attorney can negotiate with creditors and defend debtors if the matter is taken to court.
- Discrimination: A person might pursue legal action if they believe that they were subject to unacceptable or unlawful treatment because of their membership in a protected class. Protected classes include, but are not limited to, race, national origin, sex, religion, disability, and gender identity.
- Intellectual property disputes: Trademarks, copyrights, and patents protect a person's or entity's intellectual property, such as logos, creative works, or business secrets. If someone uses such property without permission, the owner can bring a lawsuit against them.
- Medical malpractice: Medical malpractice claims arise when a health care professional provides treatment below the acceptable standard. In doing such, they cause injury resulting in compensatory damages.
- Employment or labor disputes: Various types of issues can come up in the workplace. For instance, an employee can bring a discrimination or wrongful termination claim. Or there may be a discrepancy in how a worker and employer interpret the terms of a contract.
- Divorce lawsuits: Divorces are extremely complex, as a range of issues needs to be settled, such as child custody, spousal support, and division of assets. Additionally, post-judgment issues might arise after the case has concluded.
Our Grand Rapids civil litigation attorneys are prepared to help you through your civil matter. We represent plaintiffs and defendants and deliver the legal representation we would want to receive if involved in such a high-risk case.
What Does a Civil Appeals Lawyer Do in MI?
A civil case may not end favorably for one party. When that happens, they may appeal the decision to a higher court. However, the appeal cannot be based on the party's dissatisfaction with the result. It must have justifiable grounds, such as a legal error occurring in the case.
A Grand Rapids appellate attorney will:
- Review the trial court record
- Determine the issue to raise on appeal
- Research and write briefs
- Argue the case before the appellate judges
At Willis Law, our team has presented appeals in the Michigan Supreme Court, Michigan Court of Appeals, U.S. Supreme Court, Sixth Circuit Court of Appeals, and Fifth Circuit Court of Appeals. We have handled various appellate cases, including commercial litigation, probate, personal injury, and civil rights appeals.
We have the experience and skills needed to competently handle your case. Not one to back down from a challenge, our team is prepared to explore every legal avenue to seek a favorable result on your behalf.
Speak with a Grand Rapids Civil Litigation and Appeals Lawyer Today
At Willis Law, we recognize that the outcome of a civil case can profoundly affect a person's future or a company's operations. Because of this, we are dedicated to aggressively fighting for our clients and pursuing just outcomes.
Learn more about how we can help by calling (888) 461-7744 or submitting an online contact form today to speak with our Grand Rapids civil litigation and appeals attorneys.
Meet Your Legal Team
Helping You Achieve the Best Possible Outcome
Michael Willis J.D., C.P.A. Director and Co-Founder
Shaun Willis J.D. Director and Co-Founder
Frank Willis J.D. Chief Senior Counsel
Donald Smith, J.D. Attorney/Partner
Mariko Willis, J.D. Of Counsel Attorney
Samuel Gilbertson J.D. Managing Partner
Paul Morgan, J.D. Attorney
Chico Obande J.D. Attorney
Jennifer Grahek, J.D. Attorney
Adam Bancroft, J.D. Attorney
Davis Martin, J.D. Attorney
Aric Kasel, J.D. Attorney
Cody Hayward, J.D. Attorney
Nick Tuori Attorney
Verelle Kirkwood J.D. Of Counsel Attorney
Kristyn Meulenberg J.D. Of Counsel Attorney
Nick Vogelzang Of Counsel Asbestos Litigation Attorney
Robin Vleugel Receptionist
Michele Guyman Paralegal
Brian Thompson Paralegal
Patty Stickels Legal Assistant
Kay Davidson Legal Assistant
Karen Zimmerman Legal Assistant
Austin Beaudet Legal Extern
Max Antonneau Client Service Specialist
Mark Zigterman Accountant
Margarita Jensen Intake Coordinator
Patrick Willis Courier
Nicole Cumming Intake Coordinator, Legal Assistant
Jenna Harris Legal Assistant
Place Your Legal Concerns Into Our Capable Hands
Kalamazoo - Mailing Office 491 West South Street
Kalamazoo, MI 49007 [+] Map & Directions
Grand Rapids 30 Jefferson Avenue SE
Grand Rapids, MI 49503 [+] Map & Directions
Paw Paw 203 South Niles
Paw Paw, MI 49079 [+] Map & Directions
Chicago 401 N. Michigan Avenue
Chicago, IL 60611 [+] Map & Directions