Michael Willis founded this firm with his brother, Shaun Patrick Willis. Their father, Hon. Frank D. Willis, is the former Chief Judge for Van Buren County.
Michael is registered as a Certified Public Accountant in the State of Illinois and is licensed to practice law in both Florida and Michigan. He is listed in The Best Lawyers in America (recognized as a Lawyer of the Year in 2020, 2022, and 2023), Superlawyers and Leaders in the Law, and has the highest possible rating from his peers (AV Martindale). Before forming Willis Law, Michael worked for Varnum, Riddering, Schmidt & Howlett LLP, and Kerr, Russell, Weber, PLC.
Michael received his J.D. from the University of Michigan Law School. He graduated magna cum laude with a B.A. from the University of Notre Dame. He belongs to the Florida and Michigan Bars, the Kalamazoo County Bar Association, and the Christian Legal Society. He recently left 9 years of service on the Board at Holy Cross College in Notre Dame, Indiana, currently serves as co-president of the Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis Foundation which provides college scholarships to children of American heroes, and also serves on the finance council at St. Monica Catholic Church, on the local advisory council to Hackett Catholic Prep Highschool, and on the advisory council to the Catholic Foundation of Southwest Michigan.
Michael’s wife Susan and their children, Isabella, Christian, Mary, Michael Joseph, Marie Therese, and Gabriella, are the lights of his life. They live in Kalamazoo. Willis Law dedicates its practice to God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the founders’ fallen brother, Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis.
You can reach Michael Willis at 269-492-1045 to schedule your free consultation.
- Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Planning
- Estate Tax Minimization
- Estate, Trust, and Probate Administration
- Corporate Law
- Business Succession Planning
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate Law
- Large Scale Farmers
- Technology Firms
- Professional Service Organizations
- Development Companies
- Life Science Related Corporations and Individuals
- Doctors, Dentists, and Business Owners
- Entrepreneurial, Wealth-Generating Individuals
- “Why Michigan Courts Will Continue to Protect SMLLCs Against the Member’s Outside Judgment Creditors,” The Michigan Business Law Journal, Fall 2017.
- “Single-Member LLCs v The Member’s Judgment Creditor: How Strong is the Shield?” The Michigan Business Law Journal, Vol. 29, Issue 1, Spring 2009.
- “Estate Tax and Gift Tax Law Changes for 2009 – What You Need to Know,” Builder/Architect, Vol. 19, No. 3, May/June 2009.
- Asset Protection – West Michigan Air Care (2021)
- Death Taxes for Farmers – Michigan Association of CPAs (2021)
- Estate and Elder Care - Knights of St. Margarets (2019)
- Asset Protection – Northwoods League All-Star Parents (2018)
- Charitable Planned Giving – Lake Michigan College (2018)
- Estate Planning 101 – Gull Lake Country Club (2017)
- End of Life Decisions – St. Monica, Kalamazoo (2015)
- Charitable Giving – Big Brothers Big Sisters (2015)
- Asset Protection for CPAs – Seber Tans, PLC (2014)
- Asset Protection for Financial Advisors - Wiser Financial (2014)
- Estate Planning and Wealth Protection – St. Monica, Kalamazoo (2014)
- Estate Planning and Wealth Protection – St. Catherine, Portage (2014)
- Estate Planning and Wealth Protection – St. Mary’s, Kalamazoo (2014)
- Asset Protection for CPAs – Yeo & Yeo CPAs, Kalamazoo (2013)
- End of Life Decisions – St. Catherine of Siena, Portage (2013)
- Asset Protection Planning for Trust Advisors – Greenleaf Trust, Kalamazoo (2013)
- Estate Planning and Asset Protection – Bronson Hospital, Kalamazoo (2013)
- Protecting Your Legacy – MI Assoc. of RV Parks and Campgrounds - Lansing (2013)
- Asset Protection – The Park Club, Kalamazoo (2012)
- Asset Protection for Life Insurance Agents – Prudential Kalamazoo (2012)
- Asset Protection for Brokers – Morgan Stanley Kalamazoo (2012)
- Asset Protection for Construction Financial Managers – CFMA Kalamazoo (2012)
- Asset Protection & Estate Planning Seminar for Dentists & Other Doctors – Kalamazoo Valley District Dental Society (2011)
- Estate Planning for Singles and Widows – Kalamazoo (2010)
- Long Term Care Planning Techniques (Contributor) – Kalamazoo (2010)
- Estate Planning and Tax Control – Kalamazoo (2010)
- Wills, Trusts and Probate – Douglas Community Center (2009)
- Your Personal Financial Future: Finding the Keys to Success – MSU Kalamazoo Center for Medical Studies (2007)
- Estate Planning and Business Succession Planning and Tax Control – Home Builders Association of Greater Kalamazoo (2006)
- Estate Planning and Tax Control – Kalamazoo (2005)
- Life Insurance Trusts and Use of Medicaid Annuities – Kalamazoo (2004)
- Living Trusts and Estate Tax Issues to Van Buren County Retired School Personnel – Lawton (2004), Lawton (2008)
- Estate Planning Seminar for Senior Services, Inc. – Kalamazoo (2004)
- Probate Avoidance and Estate Tax Minimization to Parchment Rotary – Parchment (2003)
- Long Term Care Costs (in conjunction with GE Insurance) – Portage (2003)
- International Estate Tax Planning – Kerr, Russell & Weber PLC – Detroit (2001)