Kalamazoo & Grand Rapids Construction Litigation Attorney
Litigation for Construction Projects in MI
Many things can go awry during a construction project. From changes in building plans to nonpayment of debts, and bond disputes, to job site injuries, these endeavors are ripe with possible legal disputes. These can involve legal relationships between owners, contractors, subcontractors, suppliers and other third parties.
Experienced Attorneys Handling Commercial Construction Litigation
At Willis Law, we understand what is at stake during a construction project. Our attorneys represent all parties from owners to contractors in construction litigation and other methods of dispute resolution.
From Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo and Paw Paw, Michigan, our experienced attorneys will guide you through your dispute and help you reach an agreement that protects your interests.
Contact us online or call (888) 461-7744 to set up an appointment to discuss construction litigation and dispute resolution.
Litigation Services in Michigan
Our firm represents parties in construction litigation and alternative dispute resolution involving issues such as:
- AIA document disputes
- AIA arbitration
- Contract disputes
- Environmental regulation violations
- Construction defects
- Code violations, workmanship deficiencies, specification or blueprint deviations, and other performance issues
- Architectural disputes
- Real estate disputes involving property line, boundaries, riparian rights, zoning or land use
- Lakefront property disputes
- Condominium disputes and condominium document contests
- Foreclosure actions
- Bond disputes, lien actions, and other nonpayment issues
- Violations of non-compete agreements
- Job site injuries
- Employment or labor disputes
- Construction liens
- Foreclosure avoidance
- Deeds in lieu of foreclosure
- Bank workouts
- Short sales
- Bank deficiency avoidance
In any dispute involving design or building quality issues, we often hire construction specialists, engineers, and other experts, to determine what is wrong with the project. We will ask them to create a written plan that will identify the valid issues and provide an outline for settling the dispute.
Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) in MI
At Willis Law, we believe that litigation should be the last way to resolve disputes. We often advise clients that it is better to work out a compromise beforehand, if possible.
We use ADR whenever we can, as it is less costly than litigation and helps preserve positive working relationships among commercial construction clients. ADR keeps contract disputes out of court using arbitration and mediation:
- Mediation: When the judge orders mediation, it can be an effective and cost-saving way of settling the dispute by putting all parties in the same building and having an experienced nonbiased attorney negotiate the case and hopefully find some common ground between the parties.
- Arbitration: Our attorneys are proud members of the American Arbitration Association and the Home Construction Arbitration and Mediation.
When our attorneys do pursue construction litigation, they are skilled trial lawyers who prepare each case thoroughly and represent clients with aggressive commitment.
Filing and Enforcement of Liens
Michigan's Construction Lien Act provides contractors with a remedy when an owner fails to pay for a construction project. In order to file a construction lien, you must follow the requirements established by the Act. We will file all documents necessary to get a lien against a delinquent property owner. We will defend a lien against allegations of improper billing, poor workmanship, and a missed deadline.
At Willis Law, our lawyers work to resolve construction law disputes involving nonpayment or disputed payments in the way that best protects our clients' interests both now and in the longer term.
Contact a Kalamazoo, Michigan, Construction Litigation Lawyer
To learn more about our construction litigation and ADR practice, call an attorney at Willis Law. We serve West Michigan with cost-effective representation. Contact us today to set up an appointment.
Shaun Willis is the contributing author for this content.
Michael J. Willis J.D., C.P.A.
Shaun P. Willis J.D.
Frank D. Willis J.D.
Donald H. Smith, J.D.
Mariko C. Willis, J.D.
Samuel R. Gilbertson J.D.
Jennifer L. Grahek, J.D.
Adam D. Bancroft, J.D.
Davis C. Martin, J.D.
Aric D. Kasel, J.D.
Verelle Kirkwood J.D.
Kristyn Meylenberg J.D.
Austin J. Beaudet