Shaun Patrick Willis J.D.
Shaun Willis, along with his brother Michael, is a co-founder and Partner of Willis Law. Willis Law has offices in Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, and Paw Paw. For more than 14 years, Mr. Willis has focused on assisting clients in litigation, with emphasis on business, real estate, and construction litigation. He is admitted to practice in the State Courts of Michigan, Federal Courts in the Eastern and Western District of Michigan, and the Michigan State Supreme Court. Before the formation of Willis Law, he was sole practitioner of The Law Office of Shaun Patrick Willis, worked in the Kalamazoo County Office of the Prosecuting Attorney and at Howard & Howard Attorneys, PC.
Shaun received a J.D. from Thomas Cooley Law School. He graduated with a B.S. in Aviation Flight Science from Western Michigan University. He is a licensed commercial pilot with a multi-engine rating, avid hunter, and teaches the legal portion of CCW classes. He and his wife, Corrina Maria Willis, are involved in the Kalamazoo community, attend Valley Family Church, and Corrina is Past President of the Lawyers Auxiliary Board. They have three daughters, Maria, Francesca, and Lucy and three sons, Patrick, Christopher, and Walter.
In 2007, Mr. Willis was honored to be named as only one of six Michigan attorneys listed as "Up and Coming Lawyers" by Lawyers Weekly. In 2012-2016 the National Trial Lawyers Association named him one of the Top 40 Under 40 Trial Lawyers. Mr. Willis is a member of the Million Dollar Advocates Forum. His firm, Willis Law has been recognized as a Best Law Firm by US News, and has been selected as one of the National Best & Brightest Companies to Work For.
Mr. Willis is also dedicated to serving his community. He founded pro bono clinics at the Kalamazoo Gospel Mission and the Kalamazoo Public Library to ensure that even those who cannot afford an attorney receive necessary, dedicated legal assistance.
Mr. Willis volunteers for the Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis Foundation where their mission is to provide college scholarships for kids whose parent has been killed or 100% disabled in a combat zone. Additionally, he serves on the Board of Big Brothers Big Sisters, Ducks Unlimited, the Park Club of Kalamazoo and other organizations. He previously served as a member of the board of directors for the Kalamazoo County Bar Association. Mr. Willis also teaches seminars on real estate law, business litigation, and construction law, and has published multiple articles on these subjects.
Willis Law dedicates its practice to God, the Lord Jesus Christ, and the founders' fallen brother, Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis.
- Commercial Pilot's License, Multi Engine Rating
Thomas M. Cooley Law School, Lansing, Michigan
- J.D. - 2002
Western Michigan University
- B.S. - 1999
- Major: Aviation Flight Science
- General Counsel for Valley Family Church
- General Counsel for Jack Kelly Farms
- General Counsel for Lake Doster Development Company
- High Net Worth Individuals
- Development Companies
- Life Science & Bio-tech Corporations
- Construction Management Firms
- Trade Organizations
- Construction Corporations
- Various Corporations
- General Counsel for the South Haven Rod & Gun Club
- General Counsel for Upper Midwest Indian Counsel on Addictive Disorders (UMICAD)
- General Counsel for Home Builders Association of Greater Kalamazoo
- General Counsel for Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club
Scholarly Lectures and Writings:
- Authored, Asset Seizures Under Scrutiny Michigan Forfeiture Laws Improved article for Michigan Bar Journal, December of 2016. , Author, Asset Seizures Under Scrutiny, Michigan Forfeiture Laws Improved, Michigan Bar Journal, Litigation, 2016
- Presented on the Top 10 Disputes and Avoidable issues for Contractors at the Home Builders Associations annual meeting at the Fountains in Kalamazoo, MI. , Home Builders Association Annual Meeting, 2016
- Presented on the Top 5 Human Resource Concerns for Businesses at the International Concrete Repair Institute's annual meeting at the Motor City Casino in Detroit, Michigan. , Presenter, International Concrete Repair Institute, 2016
- Presented on the Top 10 Disputes and Avoidable issues for Contractors at the Executive Director's of Michigan Home Builders Associations annual meeting at Southwest Michigan First in Kalamazoo, MI. , Executive Directors Of Michigan Home Builders Associations, 2016
- Presented on the Top 5 Human Resource Concerns for Businesses at the Fetzer Center of Western Michigan University for a continuing education group of Home Builders Association. , Presenter, Home Builders Association, 2016
- Presented to the Warrior Riders on the impact the Willis Foundation, www.willisfoundation.org, has had on the military community, carrying out its mission of providing college scholarships to kids whose parent has died or been 100% disabled in a combat zone at the McCamly Plaza, Battle Creek, MI. , Presenter, Warrior Ride Annual Dinner: Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis Foundation, 2015
- Conducted a seminar covering the legal aspects of the Broker Lien Act of 2010 and its application to the Brokers current real estate practices. , Lecturer, Brokers Lien Act in Michigan, Brokers And Realtors, 2011
- Conducted a seminar on the application and use of the Architectural Works and Copyright Protection Act. , Speaker, Architectural Works and Copyright Protection Act, Architects, Builders, Developers, 2009
- Author, Attorney Shaun Willis, Article: What to Tell Potential Home Buyers About the New First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit. , Builder Architect Magazine , 2009
- Author, Attorney Shaun Willis. Article: What to Tell Potential Home Buyers About the New First Time Home Buyer Tax Credit, Builder Architect Magazine, 2008
- Author, Attorney Shaun Willis, Article: Perception is Reality: Structuring Ownership of Your Development Venue, Builders Voice Published by Home Builders Association, 2007
- Author, Attorney Shaun Willis, Article: Attention Developers: Property Tax Uncapping for Land Holding LLCs, this article described the tax implications of land held by developers in LLCs. , Builders Voice Publication of Home Builders Association, 2007
- Author, Attorney Shaun Willis, Article: Builders Beware: Michigan Consumers Protection Act Currently Applies to Builders. This article summarized the application of current case law and the application of the Michigan Consumer Protection Act on Michigan corporations and builders individually. , Builders Voice Publication of the Home Builders Association, 2006
- 2014, Seminar for Greater Kalamazoo Association of Realtors: Broker Lien Act
- Seminar on Copyrighting your Blueprints, Home Builders Assn of Greater Kalamazoo
- Seminar on Construction Lien Law, Home Builders Assn. of Greater Kalamazoo
- Lecturer, Concealed Weapons Training Courses, Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club
Past Employment Positions
- Kalamazoo County's Office, Prosecuting Attorney
- Howard & Howard Attorneys, P.C.
- The Law Office of Shaun Patrick Willis, Solo Practitioner
Pro Bono Activities
- Volunteer, American Red Cross Disaster Action Team
- Founder- Kalamazoo Gospel Mission pro-bono legal clinic serving 100's of Kalamazoo's indigent each year, 2010
- Founder- Willis Law pro bono clinic at Kalamazoo Public Library, serving 100's of Kalamazoo's indigent, 2008
- Board of Directors: The Park Club, Kalamazoo, Michigan
- Of Counsel, Cochran Defense Group
- General Counsel, Upper Midwest Indian Council on Addictive Disorders (UMICAD)
- Member, Kalamazoo Chamber of Commerce
- Member, Southwest Michigan Gun Club
- Treasurer/Secretary, Jack Kelly Farms
- President, Lake Doster Development Company
- Board of Directors, Habitat for Humanity
- Board of Directors, Ducks Unlimited of Greater Kalamazoo
- Board of Directors, Big Brothers Big Sisters of Kalamazoo
- Board of Directors, Doster Sand & Gravel
- Board of Directors, Lake Doster Development Company
- Board of Directors, Jack H. Kelly Farms
- Volunteer, American Red Cross Disaster Action Team
- Board of Directors and Benefit Dinner Committee, Big Brothers Big Sisters
- President, Ducks Unlimited of Greater Kalamazoo
- President, Corporal Christopher Kelly Willis Foundation
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100 Lawyers in the nation. (2018)
- In 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015 and 2016 Attorney Shaun Willis was named as one of the Top 40 under 40 Trial Lawyers by the National Trial Lawyers Association., Top 40 under 40 Trial Lawyers, National Trial Lawyers Association, 2016
- Attorney Shaun Willis received the award for his law firm Willis Law Attorneys for their induction into the "Century Club", making Willis Law Attorneys 21st Century Innovators for their performance on values , 21st Century Innovation Award, Lawyers Weekly, 2009
- Shaun Patrick Willis, J.D was selected by Michigan Lawyer's Weekly as one of Michigan's Up and Coming Lawyers, an award presented to only 6 of 40,000 attorneys in Michigan, Lawyers Weekly, 2007
- In 2014, Attorney Shaun Willis was named to the Million Dollar Advocates Forum, one of the most prestigious groups of trial lawyers in the United States. Membership is limited to attorneys who have won million and multi-million dollar verdicts, awards and settlements.
- Selected by Michigan as a SUPER LAWYER in Construction Litigation (2013)
- Selected by Michigan SUPER LAWYERS to its Rising Star List in Business Litigation (2009)
- Selected by Michigan SUPER LAWYERS to its Rising Star List in Construction Litigation (2008)
- Selected by Michigan Lawyers Weekly as one of Michigan's Up and Coming Lawyers (2007): Award presented to only 6 of 40,000 attorneys in Michigan
- 1 of 3 Attorneys in the State of Michigan endorsed by the Michigan Association of Private Investigators
- Past Board of Directors, Kalamazoo County Bar Association
- Berrien County Bar Association
- Muskegon County Bar Association
- Michigan Bar Association
- Member, Van Buren County Bar Association
- Member, Grand Rapids Bar Association
- Member, Kalamazoo County Bar Association
- Board of Directors, Chamber Public Affairs
- Member, Chamber of Commerce Environmental Committee, Home Builders Association
- Member, Greater Kalamazoo's Government Affairs Forms Committee, Home Builders Association
- Member, Southwest Michigan Professionals Network
- Member, Western Michigan University Alumni Association
- Member, American Bar Association
- Member, Home Builders Association of Greater Kalamazoo
- President, Doster Building Control Committee, Markus Glen Condominium Association
- Chairman, Young Lawyers Society, Kalamazoo County Bar Association
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Michigan
- U.S. District Court Western District of Michigan
- Michigan, 2002
- American Bar Association
- Big Brothers Big Sisters Corporal
- Christopher Kelly Willis Foundation
- Ducks Unlimited
- Federal Bar Association
- Greater Kalamazoo Association Of Realtors
- Habitat For Humanity
- Home Builders Association Of Greater Kalamazoo
- Kalamazoo Country Club
- Kalamazoo County Bar Association
- Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club
- Michigan Bar Association
- Park Club Of Kalamazoo
- Southern Michigan Gun Club
- Van Buren County Bar Association
Michael J. Willis J.D., C.P.A.
Shaun Patrick Willis J.D.
Frank D. Willis J.D.
Donald H. Smith J.D.
Mariko C. Willis J.D.
Scott A. Noto J.D.
Samuel R. Gilbertson J.D.
Meaghan J. Miracle J.D.
Verelle Kirkwood J.D.
Kristyn Meulenberg J.D.
Liisa R. Speaker J.D.
Director of HR